Friday, December 1, 2006

Fantasy POD: A Beginning

Currently at lulu.com there are 2782 books listed under the Science Fiction & Fantasy. 1602 of them are tagged with fantasy, 119 are tagged with magic. At xlibris.com, the General Fantasy category has 248 books listed and Epic Fantasy has 17. The iuniverse.com General Fantasy category has 664 titles and the Epic Fantasy category has 133 titles. That totals to 2783 not counting any duplicates.

So with well over 2500 titles surely there must be some gems, precious and semi-precious, amongst them. Surely, there has to be a few original self-published Fantasy works out there. I aim to find out and review them on this blog.

With Ms. Poddy Mouth reviewing more general POD books (no fantasy and easy on the sci-fi), A Betterment Worker tackling Science Fiction POD books, I've decided that I can help out the ever growing world of POD and take on the reviewing of Fantasy POD. So to begin with, send me your manuscripts. I probably won't spend a whole lot of time discussing the POD industry as I feel that Ms. Mouth and Mr. Worker as well as Miss Snark (when she comments on POD) and others can probably handle it better than I. I'll concentrate on reviews and probably things that I see in manuscript that can and can't be improved.

So, onward. Your first adventure is to figure out where to send the manuscript. I won't post the email here directly. I'll accept any format except Word for now.

3 comments:

Chrystalline said...

Want a gmail addy for this blog? Send me an email (CDLauryl at gmail .com) and I'll send you an invite. Gmail is pretty good about filtering out the most obvious spam, and it's got plenty of space, so you could even post the addy visibly without worrying about being overwhelmed too much. Also, it's pretty much as anonymous as yahoo/hotmail.

(enlightened self-interest - I'm a scifi/fantasy geek, and this is all I can offer to the POD cause just yet;)

fantasypod said...

Actually, if you follow the profile link, you will see my gmail address. fantasypod at gmail dot com.

Thanks for the offer!

Chrystalline said...

Ah, sorry. I'd just come across PODdy Mouth a couple of days ago and thought, 'hey, I'm into scifi/fantasy, maybe I can offer to partner with her and review some of those!' only to find that someone else had already had that great idea, so I figured I'd offer what help I could. Guess I didn't look far enough first. :: rueful grin ::

Oh well; let me know if something comes up as another way I can help out.